Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Managing Stress

The beginning of this year has been particularly stressful for me at work.  With the State of California taking action against redevelopment agencies (I won't bore you with details), my public sector job has been less than stable. 



I have been really trying to keep the stress at work, and not bring it home. It is a 'must' for working mother sanity! You have to take care of yourself first, I know you have heard that before- but it's true! I wanted to share a few of my favorite stress busters - and see if you had any to share!

1. Lavender - candles, incense, essential oils... whatever method works for you! There is something about the scent that just relaxes me. I happen to LOVE Bath and Body Works Lavender Vanilla bubble bath http://www.bathandbodyworks.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11669930&cp=4090259.4090258.4090278.4431583.11226303, which brings me to #2!

2. Take a hot bath! My mother always told us, whatever was wrong, to have a cup of tea and a hot bath. I still take her advice to this day. Add the bubble bath, and you're on your way to relaxation!

3. Get on the floor- After a long day, there is nothing better than kicking off the heels and playing with dinosaurs with my 3-year-old.  Kids can have a way of melting the stress away, SOMETIMES!

4. Dance- When nothing seems to make sense, put on a silly CD (I recommend "Silly Songs with Larry" from Veggie Tales) and just sing with your kid(s). They love it, and soon you'll forget what you were so stressed about in the first place.

5. Forget about 'have to's'- Give yourself a much-deserved break. The laundry will be there tomorrow, and the same for the dirty dishes, and the cobwebs, and the dust bunnies, and the recycling... just sit down! 

6. Put the kids to bed just a little earlier than usual- Mine can't tell time YET, so this may get harder as they get older! Sometimes, Mommy needs more 'me time'... and some wine!

7. Yoga- If you can get away for an hour, to do yoga (or whatever hobby/class you like)- it is worth it! It is an invaluable chance to focus on yourself, and the 'here and now'. Believe me, I know it isn't easy!

8. Don't look at your phone- I can't bear to turn off the cell phone, since we do not have a 'land line'. But I do put it on vibrate, and leave it in the kitchen. It's important to focus on your family when you are at home, everyone else can wait.

I also like to walk the dogs, but if you don't have dogs- that obviously wouldn't work for you.  What do you do to de-stress?

1 comments:

  1. haha you and your lavender. Well I don't think I'll be putting silly songs with larry on my iPod, I do like dancing :)

    ReplyDelete