Monday, June 17, 2013

Emotional Detachment

We have lived in our home for about 6 years. It's our first house as a married couple. We had two children while living there. We have countless wonderful memories, from bringing home the boys from the hospital, trick or treating, and Christmas mornings. But, we have outgrown the house and it's time to move. I moved several times growing up, most memorably from New Jersey to California right before I started high school. Maybe for this reason, I am not emotionally attached to our house. It could be because I never thought of it as our 'forever' house, but I'm not 100% sure.

My husband was born about 5 miles from where we live now. He has lived in a total of 3 houses, 2 that he remembers. He is very emotionally attached to our house, and can't figure out why I am not. Even some of our friends are more attached to the house that I am!

We're moving out in less than a week. The house is almost entirely boxed up, and all I am feeling is excitement for the next step. We get to move from a townhouse to a single family, detached house with a yard! It's a house we plan to stay in for a long time. In my head, it's a 'forever' house. We will make some changes, to customize it for our tastes. This is a house that I may just let myself become attached to...

 Are you emotionally attached to where you live? Am I wrong for not being attached to our first house?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment