Monday, March 24, 2014

Ideas in my head...

This weekend, the hubs worked Saturday morning- so I was determined to spend at least some time working in the yard, together, as a family. It's good for us to be outside, and since we live in southern California the weather doesn't prevent it very often. Plus, my OB said I desperately need Vitamin D. This weekend was beautiful and sunny, of course. So after the lawn was mowed, we decided to trim the citrus trees. 

In my head, I thought, "Oh perfect, the kids can help pick oranges and lemons and we can juice them." In reality, hubs chopped off a huge limb of our orange tree... which has massive thorns... and tried to get the boys to grab some oranges for me to juice. Of course, the first thing out of their mouths is, "MOM!" They need a bowl, they need gloves, they need a break... and does this count as a 'chore'? Because then they each need a dollar too. oh brother. 

Then it's time to juice! They both want to help, so I get my toes smashed by kitchen chairs as they both clamber to the counter where I'm trying to quickly peel what seems like 100 citrus fruits... "I get to go first!" "NO! It's MY TURN!" "Move over, I can't reach!" "MOM!" Why did this seem like a good idea?! The first orange I tried to peel squirted a stream of fresh orange juice straight into my eye, leading to a messy mascara run and trying to explain to my 3 and 5 year old boys what happened. "Just give me a minute, OK?! Don't touch the juicer!" "Why?" "What happened?" "What's wrong with your eye?" "I want to make JUICE!" 

After that all calms down, we juice all the oranges and get like 3 glasses of fresh orange juice and 2 cups of lemon juice. oh yes, that was TOTALLY worth it. In my head, I envisioned sitting outside with a fresh glass of lemonade with two smiling children playing happily in the sun... 

oh well, this is my reality, and I wouldn't have it any other way.








1 comments: