Thursday, February 6, 2014

Mollie's Biopsy: The Results

First of all, if you are one of 'those people' who does not consider your dogs/pets a part of your family- you may not want to read this post. Fair warning!

This weekend our basset hound, Mollie, had a lump removed from her chest. The vet told us they would send it out to the lab for a biopsy, and let us know the results. Yesterday, I checked my voicemail- and got the news. "Mollie's lump was a mast cell tumor, please call me to discuss options." I wasn't expecting that AT ALL! Who leaves that on a voicemail!

My heart dropped. I couldn't react the way I wanted to because I was at work. I wanted to run home and hug her, and cry. I really wanted to cry. She drives me NUTS, she really does. She's been trouble from the start, she's been hard to handle, and she's been expensive. But that doesn't mean I don't love her.

I know there are much larger problems in this world. I know that there are PEOPLE with much larger problems. But she's a part of our family, and this hurts.

Our little troublemaker...
Her prognosis is good, but this is still very scary. The vet told me that mast cell tumors usually aren't aggressive, and she could go for years without getting another one. The problem is that they are unpredictable, so she could get another one relatively soon. It's a 'wait and see' approach.

Unfortunately for Mollie our house isn't a quiet and peaceful place, except during nap time. For now, I just hope she's getting some rest so she can feel better soon. I don't think she's done causing trouble quite yet...

0 comments:

Post a Comment