Monday, April 9, 2012

Are you tired?

Is the sky blue? I never paid much attention to the fact that I get tired.

[caption id="attachment_424" align="alignleft" width="300" caption="image source: www.thehonestbaby.com"][/caption]

But when Little J started getting 'extra fussy' in the afternoons. I searched for an answer. "Is he tired?" "Is he just going through a phase?" "What's going on with him?" Well, I began to research reasons for his afternoon crankiness, and things I could do to mitigate it. Below is the summary of my research.

Symptoms of exhaustion:

1. You find it hard to concentrate.

2. You have a shortened temper, and lose patience easily.

3. Simple things seem to hard to handle.

4. You lack the desire to do things you used to love.

If you are three years old, and you are exhausted. You throw throw a tantrum, don't want to watch "Movie Cars" for the 800th time, and/or cry when you can't find one of your dinosaurs. If you have not taken a nap, you may do all three.

Solutions to exhaustion:

1. Eat a balanced diet.



This would require branching out from peanut butter and jelly, macaroni and cheese and chicken nuggets. According to the US Department of Agriculture, Little J may need more magnesium in his diet if he's exhausted. So, I have purchased almonds to leave out as a snack. He likes them! Other options include: cashews, hazelnuts, whole grains, and fish.

2. Take a 10 minute walk. We have two dogs, what more of an excuse do I need!

3. Don't skip a meal. Well, this one is a challenge with his age... but I'm trying! If an entire meal is out of the question, try a 'power snack' of peanut butter on a cracker or yogurt with granola. These options include protein, a little fat, and fiber.

4. Drink water. Symptoms of dehydration include fatigue. This is true for you too!

These solutions can work for you or your child.  Do you have any other suggestions for me?

0 comments:

Post a Comment