Thursday, January 15, 2015

How to Use Essential Oils for Baby's First Cold

When our bouncing baby boy got his first cold, I was concerned when it didn't go away on its own in  a few days. We used the vaporizer in his room at night, and he was sleeping and eating but still very congested. I searched far and wide, read many articles about natural remedies and decided to give essential oils a try. 

When using essential oils for a baby (Liam was 5 months when I tried this), it is important to dilute with a 'carrier oil'. Olive oil or sweet almond oil are both great carrier oils. What we used was about a quarter-size amount of almond oil, with 2-4 drops of eucalyptus oil rubbed on the bottom of his feet (and the remainder on my neck, so he could inhale it at a distance). This gave the effect of a natural Vicks VapoRub. I could hear the difference it made in his breathing. Obviously, if baby has a fever or doesn't get better quickly- call your doctor!



I also used the oils on myself over the Christmas/New Year's holidays. Everyone around me got sick, and usually I get a sinus infection (every year!). This year, I didn't! It was so nice to be home, with the baby and HEALTHY! I am hooked, and eucalyptus also has disinfectant properties. There are so many uses for it! You can also use lavender essential oil in a diffuser to calm baby and help them get to sleep. 

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, and I am simply sharing what worked for us.

3 comments:

  1. Using eucalyptus oil is great to use for a cold. It really helps me to breathe better.
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad it helped him and you! I tried essential oils last summer and have been using them since. They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love essential oils. So useful for so many ailments!

    ReplyDelete